Parents and relatives are welcome to visit on weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) beginning on the third Saturday of each season.
We recommend that you plan one weekend visit for the summer, not counting dropping your son off on Opening Day nor picking him up at the end of Camp. Agawam does not have one set visiting weekend.
In 2017, parents and relatives are welcome on weekends (Saturdays and Sundays): July 15th-16th, July 22nd-23rd, July 29th-30th and August 5th-6th, 2017.
We ask parents to wait to visit until the third weekend of the season so campers will have time to settle into the Agawam routine. We hope that visitors will spend time touring Agawam, meeting our staff and other campers and seeing the Camp program in action. We try not to alter the normal routine of Agawam for visiting purposes.
We have found that motel accommodations for the weekends in the middle of the season are rapidly booked. Please see the list of places to stay near Agawam to assist you in making your visiting plans.
In addition, the final weekend before Camp closes includes special events at which visitors cannot be accommodated, though we do invite visitors to attend Final Council Fire/Grand Council (Saturday, August 13th, at 7:00pm) and Final Vespers and Weekly Awards Ceremony (Sunday, August 14th, at 9:45am). The Camp program includes backpacking and canoeing trips and inter-camp competitions that have boys traveling out of Camp between Monday and Friday, so we ask that parents plan their visits for the weekends.
Guidelines for Visiting
The following guidelines have been prepared to help you plan your visit withing the context of Camp rules.
Arrival at Agawam
- Please plan to begin your visit on Saturday and Sunday after 9:30am. Before 9:30am boys have responsibilities to clean cabins and complete other Camp improvement projects.
- If you arrive in the Raymond area Friday, you are welcome for a quick visit on Friday afternoon between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. Boys need to be at dinner at 5:45pm and must be in Camp for Friday evening activities.
- Please park where directed by Camp staff.
During your visit
- Saturday Morning: We welcome you to observe your son participating in his activities on Saturday morning.
- Sunday Morning: We welcome your attendance at our weekly Vespers at 10am and the Awards Ceremony that begins just after Vespers and normally concludes by 11:15am. Campers are expected to attend both of these weekly ceremonies.
- General Swims: Visitors are welcome to swim at either the morning (11:30am) or afternoon (4:30pm) General Swim. Parents may change clothes at our Office or in the handicap accessible bathrooms which can be found adjacent to the Mason-Yale Playroom and the Middle Wayside. Visitors must check-in and check-out with Waterfront Staff and follow posted Waterfront rules.
- Meals: Due to limited space, we usually are not able to invite visitors to eat with us.
- Rest Hour: This is our quiet period. All activities are closed between 1:30-2:30pm, except tennis. Parents are asked not to spend this hour in cabins.
- Saturday and Sunday Afternoons: Visitors may participate in activities under the guidance and supervision of Agawam Staff members.
- Council Fire (Saturday Evening): All campers are expected to participate in Council Fire starting at 7:00pm. Parents are welcome to watch Council Fire.
- If weather threatens on Saturday, we may need to reschedule to Sunday evening. Please call the Camp Office after 5pm, (207) 627-4780, to confirm the timing of Council Fire if you have any doubt.
- After Evening Programs: Please do not go to your son’s cabin following any evening program.
- Pets: Maine state law requires that all warm blooded animals on Camp property have proof of rabies vaccination. If you bring your pet with you while visiting Agawam, please provide the Camp Office with documentation of vaccination. All visiting dogs must be leashed at all times.
- Camp Policies: Thank you for respecting our policies on food, candy, aerosol cans and electronic equipment. Please see Equipment and Personal Items. This avoids putting campers and Camp staff in awkward positions.
Taking your son out of camp
- Campers may leave Camp with parents/guardians for two days during the Camp season. Boys may be taken out of Camp (including lunch and dinner) on Saturday and Sunday, but your son must be back in Camp each evening.
- Please sign your son out at the Office before leaving Camp and sign back in upon returning to Camp.
- You may take another boy out with you only if his parents/guardians are not coming to visit and only if we have his parents’ or guardians’ written permission.
Coming back into camp at the end of the day
- Please park where directed by Camp Staff. Please remember to sign your son in at the Camp Office before going to Council Fire or returning to the cabin.
- Saturday by 7:00pm: Boys are expected to participate in Council Fire on Saturday evening. Your son should be back in Camp by 7:00pm. Visitors are very welcome to attend Council Fire.
- Sunday by 6:00pm: Many important Camp events are scheduled on Sunday evenings.
Planning for the End of the Camp Season
The weekend of August 13-14, 2016, is not a normal visiting weekend since many special events are scheduled. Visits at times not specified below cause unfortunate conflicts with boys’ in-Camp schedules.
Visitors are more than welcome to join us at the following times:
- Final Council Fire (Grand Council) – Saturday, August 12, 2017
Please arrive at Agawam no later than 7:00pm to be seated before Council begins. This Council Fire normally ends by 9:30pm.
If weather threatens on Saturday, we may need to reschedule to Sunday evening. Please call the Camp Office after 5pm, (207) 627-4780, to confirm the timing of Grand Council if you have any doubt.
- Final Vespers and Weekly Awards Ceremony – Sunday, August 13, 2017
Please arrive at Agawam by 9:45am to be seated before Vespers begins. The Weekly Awards Ceremony follows Vespers, and the combined program usually ends by 11:15am.
- Family Buffet and Awards Night Ceremonies – Monday, August 14, 2017
Family and friends are invited to a Buffet Supper at 5:00pm and to the Awards Night Ceremonies that follow at 7:00pm. These ceremonies usually conclude at 10:00pm.
We ask that you arrive after 3:30pm on Monday. Though the Agawam staff can be quite flexible, we appreciate your consideration in allowing them to concentrate wholly on the boys until 3:30pm.
Please RSVP for the Family Buffet by August 1, 2016. We will send a form during the summer.
Transportation to and from Camp
Campers arrive by car, camp bus, or plane.
We would prefer that you arrive in the afternoon of our opening day between 3 and 5 PM. But, if it is necessary for your travel plans, you are welcome to arrive any time after noon. Please notify us if you will be arriving before 3 PM.
We plan a chartered bus, chaperoned by Agawam staff, originating in Union, NJ, with stops in Westport, CT and Lexington, MA. For preliminary planning purposes:
- Union, New Jersey: The meeting place is at the Union McDonald’s Restaurant (Vauxhall Service Area), just after Exit 140 on the Garden State Parkway, northbound (where Routes 22 and 82 cross).
- Westport, Connecticut: The meeting place is at the Park & Ride Lot in Westport, CT. Take exit 18 off of I-95. From the northbound side: go left at stop sign onto Sherwood Island Connector. Proceed 1/4 mile to Park & Ride on the right. From the southbound side: bear right at the end of the exit. Proceed 1/4 mile to Park & Ride on the right.
- Lexington, Massachusetts: The meeting place is at the Lexington Sunoco and Rest Area on Rt. 128 and I95 northbound lane, at exit 30 (Rt. 2A).
Getting To and From Portland International Jetport (PWM)
We will meet or deliver boys for flights arriving at or departing from the Portland International Jetport (PWM). Agawam provides staff chaperones who stay with boys until they board, and remain at the airport until the boys’ flights actually take off.
Agawam will arrange for transportation for your son from Portland International Jetport (PWM) to Agawam on Wednesday, June 29, 2016. We will also arrange return transportation to Portland International Jetport (PWM) from Agawam on Tuesday, August 16, 2016. The Agawam staff will include a driver (minimum age 21) who has been screened by our insurance company to verify an acceptable driving record and proper licensure and who has been trained and oriented in the specific type of vehicle to which he or she is assigned. If transportation will be by Camp van, an additional staff person, familiar with safety procedures and working with groups, accompanies the Agawam driver to orient and manage the camper group, allowing the driver to pay full attention to the vehicle and driving. The safety rules for transport by van are the same as for bus travel, as is the orientation and training given to drivers and additional chaperones.
If you plan to have your son travel to Agawam by plane, please schedule travel on flights arriving in Portland, Maine (PWM) from late morning to mid-afternoon on Wednesday, June 29, 2016. Please schedule return reservations on flights departing the Portland International Jetport (PWM) between 8:00am and Noon on Tuesday, August 16, 2016. The Portland International Jetport (PWM) is served by the following airlines: Air Tran, Continental, Delta, Jet Blue, Northwest, Starlink Aviation, United Express and US Airways.
Unaccompanied Minor Status
Please make arrangements for your son to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Airlines have some restrictions for children flying as an unaccompanied minor, including allowing unaccompanied minors to fly only nonstop flights, not allowing unaccompanied minors on the last flight of the day for that destination, and not allowing unaccompanied minors on flights that involve a second carrier. Please check with your airline(s) as to the rules in getting your son from his initial location to Portland International Jetport (PWM) on Wednesday, June 29, 2016, and from Portland International Jetport (PWM) to his final destination at the end of the summer.
If you need the name of the chaperone who will be meeting your son at the airport to complete an unaccompanied minor form, please call Agawam (207) 627-4780, the week before Camp begins. If you need the name of a chaperone when you are making your reservations, please use Erik Calhoun, Camp Director.
Please confirm all flights, connections, and unaccompanied minor requests.
Please make a reservation for your son to travel on a flight departing Portland, Maine (PWM), between 8:00am and Noon on Tuesday, August 16, 2016. Be sure to confirm all flights and unaccompanied minor requests. Return tickets or e-ticket receipts should be sent to the Agawam office early in the summer.