Camp Agawam

Home  |  Join our Staff  |  Alumni and Council
About Us Today at Camp Campers Parents The Main Idea Volunteer/Dontate Contact Us
About Us



About Us

   Camp Activities
   Location
   Facilities
   Leadership
   Philosophy
   Agawam Videos
   Photo History


Some Important Dates In Agawam’s History

1919 Camp Agawam founded by Appleton A. Mason, “The Governor.”
1920 Camp Agawam opens for its first season on rented property on Stinson Lake in Rumney, New Hampshire.
1923 Agawam moved to newly purchased property on Rattlesnake Pond (now Crescent Lake). The Dining Hall, Earl Hall (now the woodshop), Mayflower (now Dartmouth), Harvard, Bowdoin, and Columbia were constructed.
1925 First Council Fire held, based on the writings of Ernest Thompson Seton and his Woodcraft League of America.
1927 Ags v. Wams competition began.
1934 Totem Society founded.
1939 Following the death of “The Governor” in December 1938, Appleton A. Mason, Jr. assumes the Directorship.
1939 The Governor Trophy first awarded.
1942 Katiaki instituted.
1947 The Cargill Trophy first awarded.
1957 David W. Mason assumes the Directorship.
1971 The Main Idea at Camp Agawam is established.
1972 The Dave Mason, Jr. Trophy first awarded.
1984 David W. Mason announced his retirement. Agawam Council established as a non-profit organization and a Board of Directors of dedicated Alumni was chosen.
1986 Garth R. Nelson assumes the Directorship.
1986 The Mason Trophy for Service first awarded, replacing the Dave Mason, Jr. Trophy.
1986 The Agawam Council Trophy for Leadership first awarded.
1988 The Agawam Council makes its final payment to Dave and Peg Mason to complete the purchase of Camp Agawam.
1991 Purchased 3.5 acres of adjacent woodland
1992 Agawam Council Challenge capital fund raising effort begins. Donations establish an endowment for the Main Idea program and full-summer camperships, a Preservation Trust, and funds necessary to build Mason Hall and renovate Governor Hall.
1994 Agawam Council Challenge reaches $1.25 million goal.
1994 Mason Hall (a new Dining Room, Kitchen, and Recreation building) completed.
1995 Governor Hall renovated and expanded.
Purchased 20 acres of farm property at the top of the camp road.
1997 Agawam Council embarked on an ambitious program to renovate the camp facilities. During this three-year effort, every camper cabin was raised off the ground, straightened, leveled, re-roofed and set on new supports. New Waysides (toilets and showers) were constructed for each camper campus, and several cabins were repositioned to create better campus focus.
1999 Developed two very large athletic fields on the 20-acre farm parcel purchased in 1995
1999 Bob Fryer and Peter Gould, two very dedicated alumni, developed a wonderful video history of Agawam and presented it at Agawam’s 80th Anniversary celebration in August, 1999.
2000 Thanks to the generosity of many friends and alumni of Agawam, all donors to our “Courts Campaign”, Agawam completed the renovation and reconstruction of our basketball court and four tennis courts.
Purchased 13.5 acres of adjacent woodland.
Commissioned and completed a Master Site Analysis to guide further Long Range Planning for Agawam.
2001 Due to extra heavy winter snow load, Governor Hall collapses. An extraordinary effort by alumni, friends, staff and Council members resulted in its total replacement from April through the following winter.
The Agawam community is deeply saddened by the passing of Appleton (Ap) A. Mason, Jr., eldest son of our founder and one of Agawam’s Directors from 1939 – 1956.
2002 Re-dedication and opening of the new Governor Hall.
Purchased 21 acres of adjacent woodland.
2004 Alumni reunite at Agawam, during a weekend in August, to celebrate our Camp’s 85th Anniversary. Dave Griffiths compiled a volume which chronicled interesting and important tales of Agawam through the years called Braves Give Ear…Voices From The Great Central Fire. It was presented at the 85th Reunion weekend.
The Agawam Christmas Ski Weekend is inaugurated at Sunday River resport in Bethel, ME.
Agawam completed a project to irrigate its central campus area. A pipeline is also extended to the Upper Fields near the Camp entrance.
The Agawam community is again saddened by the passing of George G. Mason, second son of our Camp’s founder.
2005 The Main Idea extended its age range to 14, and served over 100 campers.
Renovations complete on the Camp Infirmary and Clausen House.
Irrigation complete for the first of the Upper Fields.
The Agawam Council Board of Directors commenced Visioning and Strategic Planning to guide Agawam’s programs and evolution in the future.
2006 Agawam Council purchases 3.5 acre Durwand Property, rejoining the divided Wabinoden parcels.
An existing house is subsequently sold off with a 2 acre reconfigured lot, successfully completing this strategic initiative.
The Board authorizes a campaign to support the Wabinoden land purchase and the reconstruction and expansion of the Boathouse.
2007 The Wabinoden/Boathouse campaign achieved its goal of $113,000.
The new Boathouse is completed in time for the 2007 camp season.
Tall Pines is fully renovated, and provides much improved living quarters for the Camp Director.
Garth Nelson announced his intention to retire as Camp Director after the 2008 Season.
The Board accepts the recommendation of its Search Committee and unanimously votes to appoint Erik Calhoun as Agawam’s 5th Camp Director.